increase number of inodes?

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Fri Aug 19 14:32:04 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:

[inode shortage snip]

   Well, the defaults are pretty good as they stand but they are not
   designed for squeezing large numbers of files onto fairly small
   partitions.  If you wanted to make newfs smarter you could have it
   drop back to 1K/8K for filesystems less then, say, 2GB, or have it
   mess with the default bytes-per-inode parameter based on the size
   of the partition, but it would be a poor heuristic at best.

Hm, an extent-based filesystem would solve these kind of issues forever.
It would also eliminate all kinds of slack that inodes cause. AFAIK a
file smaller than sizeof(inode) will still occupy sizeof(inode). Hiten?
Are you still planning on porting JFS someday? (not that I'm asking you
to drop anything, but a timeframe like "Yeah, somewhere in the somewhat
near future" would be good enough for me :)

Cheers,
Emiel