Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Wed Aug 17 08:26:21 PDT 2005

As you said Joerg, that apt/dpkg* are good for managing packages then for
building them; this seems to be backed by Andreas as well.

One of the only reason why I am still holding onto pkgsrc is because it
has (atleast) some support for views or shall I say isolated installations
of same package but different version; apart from that pkgsrc has no
overall advantage over FreeBSD ports.

Another issue here, is that we have un-substantiated claims that FreeBSD
port maintainers will not accept patch files to make ports work on
DragonFly?  I have yet to see any evidence on this matter.

 > Please, let us abandone the idea of incrementally updating from source,
 > it is evil and the side-effects of not partially removing the dependency
 > trees don't justify it.

I agree here, it does not always work well.

Can we not use ports or pkgsrc as our build part of the problem, and
produce packages that are understandable by APT* ?

In my opinion, the option to build packages is only useful to people who
want extreme modifications to their applications.  I am sure most people,
including me would not really care about source packages; I for one would
not bother building OpenOffice or KDE locally, total waste of time.

Extremely important to get binary package management right, including
dependency handling, (automatic) updating.

			Hiten Pandya
			hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx