DragonFly BSD marketing

Bob Bagwill bob at nospicedham.org
Tue Aug 16 14:55:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:10:44 -0400, Chris Pressey
<cpressey at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I agree strongly with your underlying theme, although I'd characterize
it slightly differently.  It's not just about marketing, which sounds
sort of frivolous and underhanded... it's actually about governance.
Governance sort of implies that there are agreed-upon principles that a
cohesive community shares.  I think marketing is a better fit for the
chaotic
open source bazaar. ;-)  In a way, DragonFly is trying to sell itself,
firstly, as
a neat project to work on, and secondly, as a robust-yet-innovative
platform
for computing.  I don't think DragonFly needs to market itself in the
sense of
selling DragonFly-logo mousepads and tee-shirts (although they'd probably
sell :-) ),
I think it needs to make clear why you would want to a) choose to work on
it, and b)
choose to run it, over the alternatives.

--
Bob Bagwill