Possible Filesystem Corruption

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Aug 9 09:07:32 PDT 2005

:
:Hi,
:   I am using HEAD last built about a week ago. For a while I have been
:   getting a random number of disks in the line that says syncing disks
:   when shutting down. Today I had a few more problems i.e. in /bin/csh
:   and /bin/tcsh I got

    How long as 'for a while' ?  Did you mean you were getting a 'random
    number of errors' instead of a 'random number of disks' in the
    sentence above?

:        /bin/pwd : 1 syntax error: ``( '' unexpected
:
:   also /usr/src was no longer seen as a directory and ls said it had a
:   bad file descriptor for /usr/src. Then when shutting down I got a
:   panic. I didn't know what to do at db> but typing panic ? got me a
:   reboot and the subsequent fsck seems to have fixed everything I can
:   check. There was something about a SUPERBLOCK but it was too fast for
:   me to record. Not all filesystems were checked probably because the
:   system was already in single user mode when it paniced ?.
:
: Here is the panic FYI, it is hand transcribed.
:
:syncing disks... 2
:done
:panic: umount: dangling vnode
:Trace beginning at frame 0xc5423ae0
:panic(c04f58af,c05b14a0,c04f7fc7,c5423b10,0) at panic+0x99
:dounmount(c0df6588,80000,c5420f00,1,c0df6588) at dounmount+0x23a
:...
:                               Hope this helps,
:                                  John Duncan

    It kinda sounds like something got smashed in your filesystem, but
    the problem needs to be characterized more as I do not have any
    similar bug reports from anyone else.

    Check the disklabel on the disk to make sure the partitions are
    not overlapping (e.g. 'disklabel ad0').

    Are you getting any disk error messages in the dmesg output or
    on the console during shutdown/reboot ?

    Also note that HEAD is going a lot of changes right now, though
    nothing we are doing should have the effect you've described.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>