Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

Eduardo Tongson propolice at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:30:14 PDT 2005

> > http://zorked.net/smart/doc/README.html
>
> wow. this one looks almost exactly like the system I had envisioned.
> That's for sure worth looking at.  Couple it with a mighty build
> system/binary packaging system (portage/dpkg marriage style) and it's
> about perfect.

Portage indeed is a mighty build system. Eventhough there's work
on portage+*bsd <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/index.xml>
making it behave like a generic/secondary package manager ala pkgsrc
is not an easy affair. Although they have this in their long term
goals <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml>
""" Make Portage usable as a secondary package manager, this includes
package installation in different locations and non-root
installations. This was formerly known as Pathspec. """

--ed