Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Mon Aug 15 17:09:25 PDT 2005

@britannica.bec.de>

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> bsd.pkg.mk is NOT about package management. It is about building
> packages. Don't forget this difference, it is important. Building is
> exactly nothing but scripting a bunch of commands.
>
> If I can once more stress the comparision with Debian, it's the
> difference between dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg/apt-get. There are a lot
> of things to solve on the *package* management level, porting apt-get
> would be a start. But don't mix or confuse them with with *build* level
> problems. To look over to Linux, that's why Gentoo is so fragile,
> because it also doesn't have a clear separation and binary package
> support in Gentoo sucks even compared to the BSDs.

So are you saying that we will be using pkgsrc as a framework for building
the binary packages, but the actual management of the build packages will
be done using a different, maybe mutated set of applications?

If I am understanding correctly, you are trying to separate the domain of
package building (which is where we use the pkgsrc framework) from package
management, right?

			Hiten Pandya
			hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx