Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Mon Aug 15 10:32:42 PDT 2005

dillon wrote @ Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:31:40 -0700 (PDT):

>     Unless you suggest we go it alone... but I don't think that will work
>     any better.

I doubt that we will ever have the manpower to maintain our own big
package system unless we we use a parasitic approach in which we
take well maintained ones, like ports, modify them and keep some
way to sync. Let's call it metaports.

The problem with ports is really just a SCM problem.
I suggest, we use svk or similar to sync ports and work from there.
With svk or similar you can mirror repos and commit to them.
The mirrored repos with our changes can than be used instead
of the ordinary FreeBSD ports tree.