Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Mon Aug 15 07:46:37 PDT 2005

sdrhodus wrote @ Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:59:25 -0400:
> On 15 Aug 2005 00:17:07 -0000, Andreas Hauser <andy at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > dillon wrote @ Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:27:44 -0700 (PDT):
> >
> > >     So the answer is no... we are going to have to move to (almost
> > >     certainly) pkgsrc and fix whatever issues we have with it.
> >
> > Well, currently ports are still better than pkgsrc. And the way pkgsrc is
> > being forced upon us, politically instead of technically, will fail.
> >

> > Andy
>
> What problems do you see with pkgsrc ?

The same problems that have exist for ever.

Do you think something changed in pkgsrc ?

- no portupgrade
- deinstalls before compiling
- less ports
- important ports not compiling
  (i hear, no KDE since April, fortunaty.net packages have KDE)
- stuff like pkg_views is experimental for years
- incompatible make
- ...

I'm sure you find more in the archives.

Andy