attempted upgrade killed vinum

Jake Maciejewski maciejej at msoe.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:25:04 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 10:37 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :1. get help debugging the old kernel
> :2. rebuild 1.2.0-RELEASE so I get a non-stripped kernel
> :3. try to upgrade to Preview and hope it works
> :
> :If I do 2 or 3, can I just rename the ".old" kernel and modules to
> :".working" so the HEAD kernel doesn't get copied over it, or would that
> :break something?
> :
> :--
> :Jake Maciejewski <maciejej at xxxxxxxx>
>
>     You have to build and install the RELEASE world then build and
>     install the release kernel.  As long as you didn't recompile any
>     third party programs or ports while running HEAD, that should work.

I didn't install world from HEAD, so I should be fine. Rather than
rebuilding RELEASE, I'll try PREVIEW.

>     If this is a production machine you should generally be running
>     the RELEASE.

It's just for personal use, and was bored so I figured I'd update. I
didn't realize I was trying to install HEAD until I booted the new
kernel and it said DEVELOPMENT.

It looks like Joerg fixed the bug I hit in HEAD, and with his tip about

--
Jake Maciejewski <maciejej at xxxxxxxx>