New Release

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 16:13:08 PDT 2005

--- Kris Kennaway <kkenn at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 2005-04-19, Danial Thom
> <danial_thom at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> It would be great if you could send an
> actual
> >> bug report (i.e. with
> >> details instead of emotional terms like
> >> 'clunky') to an appropriate
> >> freebsd mailing list.
> >
> > I read some threads on the subject and it
> seems
> > that anyone who says anything negative
> > performance-wise is first told how great the
> > latest release is and that he should upgrade,
> and
> > then 20 guys will try to explain away his
> > findings with some other minutia that has
> nothing
> > to do with the problem. My personal opinion
> is
> > that Freebsd 5.x is an abortion, and I don't
> know
> > how to file a problem report that says that
> the
> > OS design sucks in general. So I thought I'd
> just
> > try something else.
>
> Fine, good luck with that.  Perhaps Linux will
> suit your amd64 needs.

Sadly, it appears that at this point in time its
the only viable choice. But like I said, I don't
"need" amd64. I'm just curious if there is any
real evidence that its actually worthwhile. I've
never seen any comprehensive results; only
snippets of this and that. Nothing very
compelling.

And please don't write to me directly if you are
going to use an unreachable return address. Its
rude and annoying.

Danial