amd64 Re: New Release

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu Apr 14 10:22:50 PDT 2005

George Georgalis wrote:

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:43:10AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:

George Georgalis wrote:

You need a new MS OS to use the processor features,
NFW!   You need an op-code list and an editor.

Nah, that would be *you* ;) btw is mined a hex
editor too? can it open a (big) partition?
recently, I moved a script to a nonexistent
directory in a cvs checkout, so I could add it. then
removed the file so I could do a mkdir there, and
the file was gone.
between finding the bytes on the partition, fishing
them out and constructing a new file... I just
rewrote it but it would be nice to be up to speed on
these techniques.  Anybody done this recently?
// George

Tried using 'Coroner's Toolkit' a year or so back.

Fsck me!

Disks have gotten too big and fs too complex to
do what was child's play on an 8" 1.2 MB FD,
even with automated assistance.
Things I used to call an OS would run in the on-die cache of
most modern CPU families, and some of my SIO drivers (240 bytes)
would never need to leave the registers.
Progress, mate. We will know we have arrived when a CPU sez:

"not tonight, I have a headache"

. .before we even try to  'turn it on'

Bill