New Release

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 14 07:47:01 PDT 2005

justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I see no mention of amd64 in the release notes
but some mention of it elsewhere. Is this
planned? If so in what time frame?

It's planned, but the system is going through rapid changes right now.
It'll be easier to support other processor architectures once the other
system features are settled - otherwise, people would be building things
several times over.

There's a FAQ entry that says essentially this.  It's the same answer for
things like PowerPC or, say, Sparc, ARM, etc.  I think an ARM port would
be neat, as there seems to be more small devices these days using that
CPU.
As a stupid user I wonder what it takes generally to support the AMD 64
bit extension, what are the typical issues in supporting both 32 and 64
bit code? Links would be very welcome too :-)

--
mph