Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Mon Apr 4 20:44:57 PDT 2005

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:44:57 -0700, walt wrote:

> My complaint (so far as I feel entitled to complain about something I
> get for free) is that NetBSD's pkg_chk -u is (most often) a disaster for
> me.
>
> Any time a gnome package is updated, all dependencies are deleted
> immediately (without asking me first) and then (more often than not) one
> of the replacement packages fails to compile -- leaving me with a pile
> of smoking rubble instead of a functional machine.

I've had this happen as well.  However, I have also had portupgrade burn
me in the same way.  It will get half way through building and *bam* go up
in flames, and leave me with half of a million dependencies installed on
the system, and the other half not.

I learned my lesson though -- never upgrade gnome with portupgrade the
third time I tried the handy dandy 'gnome-upgrade.sh' script or whatever
it was called.  Unfortunately, that to blew up on me and left me with a
system that was totally messed up.