Weird problem with sk on ASUS A8V

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Apr 25 06:05:54 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > 	OK so far it sounds like a broken ethernet adaptor, the kicker
> > is that it works perfectly when I boot a Knoppix CD with a Linux 2.4
> > kernel on it.
>
> Are there any other newer devices (i.e. recently added) on the system?
> Any changes in what is enabled by the BIOS?

	I did add a DVD drive and a second stick of RAM - I tried removing
them to no avail. Checking the logs revealed that the interface had
passed data since they were installed anyway.

	I'm pretty sure that the BIOS settings haven't changed since it
last worked - I'll fine toothcomb them again tonight.

> My theory here is that there's something else in the system that gets
> activated by BSD which causes some sort of conflict with the LAN adapter,

	The LAN adaptor is found but the miibus isn't.

> but that special something doesn't get activated by the Knoppix CD.

	It sounds like a good theory - any idea for testing it ?

	I've grabbed a copy of the Linux 2.4 sources to compare tonight.