fetchmail + mutt + maildir => lost messages

Christopher Weimann cweimann at k12hq.com
Thu Apr 21 09:08:45 PDT 2005

On 04/20/2005-06:26PM, Johannes Hofmann wrote:

> Yes it's odd, but it might just be a bug in qmail-inject,

qmail-inject doesn't actually touch the maildir.  That would be
qmail-local.

> mutt, or me
> accidentally hitting wrong keys in mutt...

Are you loosing old messages out of the folder?  Or is it that
just the new messages from fetchmail that aren't showing up?

I can't think of anyway for qmail to cause this if it is old
messages disapearing from a maildir.  That would mean they
are being removed from the Maildir/cur directory.  qmail-local
only touches Maildir/tmp and Maildir/new.

Whats in your .qmail file?  I'm betting you have some sort of
program delivery such as procmail/maildrop/whatever.  Even that
still doesn't quite add up because just like qmail-local they
wouldn't need to touch Maildir/cur to deliver new mail.