Bridging Broken in 1.2?

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 07:46:07 PDT 2005

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>     Well, so far I haven't been able to
> reproduce the broken bridge
>     problem.  I have two interfaces, em0 and
> nv0, and I seem to be
>     able to bridge them just fine with options
> BRIDGE compiled into
>     the kernel.  All I had to do was:
>
>     sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=em0,nv0
>     sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
>
>     And it worked.  I have em0 ifconfig'd up
> and nv0 is
>     just left alone (no assigned address).  I
> can ping through the
>     bridge from either side.
>
>     Is there anyone else using bridging with a
> recent kernel?  Is it working?
>     not working?

Since everyone who's complained about one thing
or another has had an address set, why would you
test it without one? I can try it with no address
later today, but with and without an address
seems like a different case. Also, make sure your
ARP cache is clear before trying to bridge
something, because someone said it had something
to do with ARP handling (obviously they need to
be broadcast by the bridge).

Danial