New Release

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu Apr 14 15:42:19 PDT 2005

Toma¾ Bor¹tnar wrote:

Danial Thom wrote:

I guess I'm not sure I want to use 64-bit,
we have to go towards 64bit in order to be 32-bit safe :)
We also have to go toward it because of the need to address larger
storage and move intensive graphics over the bus more effectively.

48-bit LBA for HDD already requires 'building' piecemeal on 32-bit
architecture, HDD and NAS array sizes are still growing, and top-end
video is using 256-bit-wide paths internally.

Them gadgets suffer when fed through a 16 or 32-bit knot-hole. Lot of
cycles needed to put together, take apart the shorter chunks.

BIll