Hardware Detection Question

Adrian Nida nida at musc.edu
Mon Apr 11 11:54:56 PDT 2005

justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
- NIC is detected by the BIOS, network boot can be configured, FreeBSD
4.11-RELEASE detects, configures, uses em0.
- DragonFlyBSD does not detect or use it.  Does detect dc0 (in VIA MB
chipset) and Sis0, or Rl0, or fxp0

A couple people have mentioned that their em card takes a bit of time to
come online; does em0 "appear" after waiting a short while after boot?
Yep, I can vouch.  Although in my case, em0 showed up in dmesg.  If you
see it there, you'll have to wait.  Of course, if you don't see it
there, you're gonna need a more than just a larva :-)

Adrian