NTPD unable to adjust local clock

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Apr 6 11:32:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:05:30 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 06:44:33PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>     After the release we are either going to have to go back to the
>>     ntpd we had before, or we are going to have to make some major
>>     changes to OpenBSD's code.  The code looks clean enough that we can
>>     probably make the required changes, but the work is going to be a
>>     bit too involved to maintain it as a contrib and a patch set...
>>     we'd have to import the code for real and maintain it in our tree.
>
> No xntpd please.

What reason? I hope, 'BSD vs GPL' isn't one of main reason. All I care are
function; not license. It works better than OpenNTPD.

> I'm much more willing to write the actual slew algorithm for OpenNTPD,
> which already has all the network code, only the actual adjust has to be
> improved. I'm also quite sure that Henning would include it in OpenNTPD.

You should keep old and not replace to OpenNTPD yet. I personal think you
should put old back in and move OpenNTPD to ports. When OpenNTPD is ready
and better than old, then you can replace it. Maybe too late for that but
need improvement on one of your practice in future.

Cheers,
Mezz