Running DragonFlyBSD on qemu, network device problems.

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 00:40:47 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 13:04 +0100, Miguel Filipe wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On Apr 1, 2005 12:57 PM, Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 2005 12:53 PM, Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'm running dragonflyBSD on a qemu virtual PC on top of linux.
> > > Instalation went fine.

Running DragonFlyBSD on FreeBSD 6, qemu-0.6.2s.20050301.

> > > Configuring the ethernet is the problem:
> > > 1 - dhclient ed0 gives no valid address
> > > 1.a - when using tun0 for the ethernet interface to qemu
> > >        dhclient results in the following kernel error/warning message:
> >        date kernel: ed0: device timeout
> >  - acording to qemu docs, the network interface is a ne2000 pci
To be exact, qemu seems to emulate a Realtek 8029 10Mbit NIC:

ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> port 0xc100-0xc1ff irq 9 at
device 3.0
 on pci0
installed MI handler for int 9
ed0: MAC address: 52:54:00:00:00:03
type NE2000 (16 bit)

> > 1.b - when using qemu with -user-net the error doesn't occurr..
Never really tried this method.

> > 2 - how should one set-up a lan between the host OS (linux) and the
> > guest OS in qemu (dragonflyBSD) ?

I use tun/tap networking combined with bridging. The qemu-ifup script
adds the virtual network interface to the bridge list, and a DHCP server
is running there to provide fixed addresses based on MACs.

This is working quite well, all (minor) problems that I have are related
to FreeBSD's way of bridging.

> > I cannot send the dmesg or any other dragonfly info since I can't
> > access it besides the console, and I cannot copy&paste it.
Could you loop-mount the virtual hard drive? I don't know exactly how to
do that in Linux, but you should be able to access it, as UFS1 should be
supported by Linux. Find the dmesg in /var/run/dmesg.boot.
The qemu should not be running at that time, of course :)

Regards,
--
Andreas