fetchmail + mutt + maildir => lost messages

Johannes Hofmann Johannes.Hofmann at gmx.de
Wed Apr 20 11:01:56 PDT 2005

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:32:09PM +0000, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
>> This has probably nothing to do with DragonFly, but for the second
>> time now I have lost all emails in my maildir-based inbox.
>> Last time it happend was about 3 months ago, so this is nothing new.
>> Both times I was using mutt (browsing/moving mails), while fetchmail
>> was getting new mail, which is delivered using qmail-inject.
>> Both times fsck did not show any problems.
>> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Are you using soft updates and had a power outage?

Yes I'am using soft updates, but I had no power outage. The messages were
just lost while mutt was running. The first time it happend, I thought I
might have pressed some weird keys that caused mutt to delete the messages,
but afterwards I have remapped all delete functions to only move the mail
to a "deleted" folder. But now the messages are gone again and they are not
in the "deleted" folder. The only explanation I can think of is that
there is some subtlety with the maildir handling. I found something
about maildir file name collisions at
http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html
but I don't think it explains the loss of a whole bunch of messages.

  Johannes