netboot services, Soekris 4801

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Apr 15 13:45:12 PDT 2005

:Anyone used it successfully?
:
:All the usual stuff rolls past, key generation, and the last thing
:displayed is the date, which I suppose is pretty much right before the
:login prompt should appear, and then nothing more happens, AFAIK. No
:login prompt. No cursor.
:
:This is with a Soekris 4801, serial cable and either
:HyperTerminal in Windows XP or SerialConnect in BeOS.
:
:(There's an issue with the BTX loader output, probably caused
:by the 4801's graphics being redirected to the serial port,
:resulting in duplicate output, but that's only at first.
:When the kernel starts the output isn't garbled anymore.)
:
:/Jonas Sundström.                        www.kirilla.com

    I think the CD may not be running a getty on the serial console.  That
    would be an oversight on our part.  If the console is going to the
    serial port we should run a getty on it too.  It was originally removed
    because it was blowing up machines that didn't have serial ports.

    You should be able to boot into single-user mode, but getting the
    environment working is another matter.  You could try manually mounting
    /etc, modifying /etc/ttys, enabling the entry for ttyd0, and then
    'exit'ing to have it finish booting.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>