SATA problems

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Apr 13 09:17:23 PDT 2005

Danial Thom wrote:

--- Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:28:25PM -0700,
Danial Thom wrote:
I have a Tyan K8SR opteron MB with a SIL 3114
SATA controller and I can't get it to work
with

dragonflyBSD. When booting (and using an IDE
disk

as the primary), I get

ad4: timeout waiting for interrupt
Can you post the full (verbose) dmesg please?

Joerg

Its difficult since the box won't boot (and
doesn't save the dmesg) with an SATA in the
system. Do you have any suggestions as to how to
get the messages?
Danial

Understand you have a non-SATA IDE drive as primary,
presume the DragonFlyBSD OS is on that?
If so, or comparison:

- First try to capture a dmesg from the installer CD with all HDD
disconnected.

- Then try to capture a verbose dmesg with no SATA, PATA (IDE)  - and
boot CD - only.

- If that boots OK, then disable the PATA IDE, enable the SATA,
attempt an install of DragonFlyBSD to the SATA, and capture that dmesg
for comparison.

In either case the dmesg should be appearing on the COM1 serial port.

After a 'normal' boot, the latest will be in /var/run/dmesg.boot - even
if a CD boot (in RAM).

HTH,

Bill Hacker