Unable to mount root on 1.2.0 CD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 12 09:56:07 PDT 2005

:Here are the ata-related lines I was able to glean:
:
:ad0: <WDC AC26400R/15.01J55> ATA-4 disk at ata0-master
:ata1-slave: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
:ata1-slave: sucess setting PIO4 on generic chip
				    ^^^^^^

    It's enough to know that it doesn't recognize the ATA chipset.  That's
    the cause of the problem.  But we need the PCI id to try to figure
    out what chipset it actuall yis.

:>     If you have a second computer and can attach a serial port to the
:>     one that isn't booting right, you can boot it over the serial port and
:>     record the sequence on the second computer.  It's a 9600 8N1 connection.
:>     The boot loader will output to both the console and the serial port but
:>     to make the kernel output to the serial port you have to give it the -h
:>     option, e.g. drop into the boot prompt via the serial link and type
:>     'boot -h -v'.
:
:Haven't figured out how to do this yet. Are you referring to
:connecting the two machines using a null modem cable? If so,
:I tried that but couldn't establish a tip connection. I
:assume the command would be something like 'tip -9600/8N1 foo',
:but I don't know what host name to use for foo. But maybe
:you're referring to something else entirely and I don't get
:it yet. (I've been watching DragonFly's progress since you
:got started, but this is the first time I've tried to do
:anything with it.)

    This usually does the trick (with the appropriate serial device
    specified), assuming that the cable at least swaps the transmit
    and receive pins.

    cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cuaa0

:Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
:    The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
:FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #4: Fri Jun 25 14:50:58 CDT 2004
:    xxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

    Ah.  Run pciconf -l from the FreeBSD booted machine.  FreeBSD seems
    to be recognizing it as the Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller.