em* issues (was Re: NFS, DVD Playback)

Adrian Nida nida at musc.edu
Sat Apr 9 14:10:28 PDT 2005

Quoting Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
<Snip/>
>     * The ethernet may take longer to come up then expected.  This is
>       especially true of 'em' ethernet devices.  The system winds up
>       trying to run the first NFS mount before the ethernet has come
>       completely up.
<Snip/>

I can verify this.  I have a Dell box with one of those Intel NICs that use the
em driver.  I just got done installing 1.2.0 on it.  When it starts up, dhclient
tries to obtain an IP address and can't (so it goes to sleep).  About 5 minutes
after I login, the kernel prints out "em0: Link is up BLAH."  Then, if I kill
the existing dhclient, I can issue another call to dhclient to get an IP
address.  The existing dhclient would probably get an IP address if I was
patient enough for it to wake up.

It's a little annoying, but not a showstopper.  Of course, if anyone knows how
to make it behave as expected, I'm all ears :-).

Adrian