Looking for pkgsrc bulk builds machine

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Apr 5 18:26:00 PDT 2005

Hello,

If anyone has a machine to donate (even short-term) for pkgsrc bulk builds
under DragonFly, please let me know. If you can host it that would be good
too.

A couple weeks ago, I started doing bulk builds under FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE-p? of pkgsrc and it is going well. I have around 2189
completed. (And this is with only a little over half attempted and doing
all installs without any root permissions which causes many difficulties
but is do-able.)

I am a pkgsrc committer/developer. I ported pkgsrc to BSD/OS. (Anyone
still use BSD/OS?). For a couple years, I have ran complete Linux systems
using all components built from pkgsrc. (Yes, I pkgsrc-ized the
linux-kernel, glibc, util-linux, linux-nfs-utils, sysvinit, vixie-cron,
iptables, etc.)

I am guessing around 6 to 8 GB is needed for the distfiles. And maybe
around 10 GB for near all packages built. Also some port to access the
generated logs would be useful (such as mini_httpd or bozohttpd on port
8080).

$ du -sh pkgsrc/distfiles
3.8G    pkgsrc/distfiles
$ du -sh pub/pub/pkgsrc/packages/FreeBSD/5.3/i386/All
1.9G    pub/pub/pkgsrc/packages/FreeBSD/5.3/i386/All

This is 2195 packages built. My current bulk build is at:
2192/5453=40.2% complete

I am volunteering to help DragonFly with pkgsrc. (Or if you'd like to fund
work, I am open to that too :) If you can provide a bulk build box, I can
help resolve some issues.

(Please carbon-copy me on replies.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. Also is anyone in the Bellingham, Washington, USA area -- who can
help work at BSD advocacy booth or do a BSD lecture for LinuxFest
Northwest? (Over 1000 attended last two years.)