boot loader question

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Apr 4 13:42:58 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:30:47AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
> PCMCIA/Cardbus at least presents itself 'honestly' - take a CF formatted
> as a FAT HDD.
>  - looks like any other IDE/ATAPI device to the OS, as it should -
> that's what the hardware bus *is*.

I disagree here. ATAPI is nothing but a special wrapping for SCSI-3 (?)
commands. The same holds for USB mass storage or SBP. The only difference
is that ATAPI and SBP got it mostly right and USB mass storage not.

I'm not talking about the actual physical package here, but the protocol
going over the wire. The physical wrapping can be exchanged with a good
design.

Joerg