code understanding help

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at offmyserver.com
Sun Apr 3 11:29:05 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:40:01PM +0000, Terry Tree wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2005 4:40 PM, Devon H. O'Dell <dodell at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > What book is this? This PRINTX macro abuse is horrible.
> >
> > --Devon
> >

> Thanks for the help.  I was thinking that x was being set back to 2
> for the second line.
>
> The book is the C puzzle book.  The reviews on amazon said it was one
> of the best books for learning C programming.

Maybe for a beginning understanding is OK, but you should
understand that usage of things like macros for the PRINTX
functionality provided in that example are generally pretty poor
style and are by no means frequently used. I don't know if this
is clarified in the book.

Perhaps cliche, but I certainly recommend Kernighan and Ritchie
(the C Programming Language). It's a good book for learning C
and getting a good understanding of how the language works. The
style is outdated, but OK.

I am (with other contributors) working on documentation for
learning C programming in DragonFly BSD. It's available online
in the Wiki at:

http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php/C_Development_Under_DragonFly_BSD

Please take a look at this, send questions (on the Wiki or to me
directly), comments, whatever, if you would like. I'd like to
have this be something useful for C programmers in general :)

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell
pgp00005.pgp