theoretical question about disks and os

Raphael Marmier raphael at marmier.net
Sat Apr 2 04:38:59 PST 2005

I am avoiding IBM drives since then, but I didn't know it was this bad!!!

The two models that failed me are
a 20Gb DPTA-372050 (DEC-1999)
a 40Gb IC35L040AVER07-0 (OCT-2001)
I know there is a 60Gb IBM drive in my Mac (august 2002), which I
decided to trust because I thought Apple would have made sure these
drive where not from defective runs.

No problem since then, except now I am paranoid about hard drives.

Raphael

Bill Hacker wrote:
Raphael Marmier wrote:

Thanks, that clarified things for me.

In fact I had 2 drives failing me nearly the same way, and both where
IBM Deskstar for 2000 and 2001. I thought about heat at the time, but
was not so sure anymore as they wheren't running so hot. Very
sensitive to heat they must be.

Not just heat. Both PCB IC failures (look for 'ash pits'),
and head positioner failures resulting in scarred media.
A couple of different IBM IDE 'Deskstar' drive 'families' -
made in different factories, earned the name 'Deathstar'.
60GB and 80 GB seem to have been among the worst ones.
That said, we have *many* IBM SCSI now 6 to 10 years in
service and one 60 GB 'Deathstar' ca 4 years in service.
We now avoid the IBM/Hitachi line, as we have avoided
Sea*grate* for a Very Long Time.
Failed capacitors on MB and in PS at around the same
time frame (2001 - 2004) have also interacted to fry
electronics on drives that had no mechanical problems
and did have adequate cooling.
Lots of info on the web:  google 'IBM Deathstar' and
'contaminated electrolyte aluminum capacitor'
Bill Hacker