Oops. Fried a motherboard :-)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Sep 22 20:28:24 PDT 2004

    Ok, here's a joke:  What happens when you stuff a Pentium 4 cube with
    two hard drives and an Intel Pro/1000 (em0) ethernet card, with an
    accidently disconnected main exhaust fan, and then run cpu-bound
    programs?

    Answer: One deep-fried ethernet card, and one semi-fried motherboard.
    Amazingly enough, the machine actually stayed up, but the GigE card
    (which runs pretty hot normally) is toast on the on-board ethernet no
    longer works reliably.

    But, fortunately, it looks like that was the only damage.  This was the
    backup box for my machine room.  The HD's amazingly remained intact,
    probably because the cpu fan was sucking air past them.  I think the
    heat must have fried the crystals and ethernet is particularly sensitive
    to out of kilter crystals :-).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>