XFree86 freezes terminals

M. Schatzl lists at neuronenwerk.de
Tue Oct 12 18:13:33 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I don't know if this is specific to my case, but maybe somebody had
similar problems. Since I read some posts the last few days about X
setup without a flaw, I thought I'd give it a try, too.

I pkg_add'ed the package from GOBSD, and it installed without any sign
that could make one suspicious. It starts and looks as usual, but when
I try to switch to another VT, the whole machine gets kind of
unresponsive. I can see the VT's screen, but neither keyboard nor
mouse works then. If I switch back to X (VT8, if I remember right),
the xterms are there, but don't get redrawn anymore. At this point the
 interaction freezes completely. Switching to other VT's doesn't work
at all.

Loggin in over ssh is possible, but even after trying to kill X
manually, the VT's and switching between them isn't possible. They're
just plain dead.
X doesn't really die btw, the processes are still there, while the
root-window and any other graphics stuff dissapeared; the startup
messages of XFree are visible then.

After more than one kill -9:
  874  ??  ZL     0:00.00  (XFree86)
  859  v0  IL+    0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
  873  v0  SL+    0:00.02 xinit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc --
nolisten t

The box itself is in no way special: 800 MHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM,
Savage Graphics Chip, 2 5400-Disks, noisy fan. World and kernel are
from September, 29th.

I'd be grateful for any hints/explanations. Please ask if you need
more information.

Thanks in advance
/Markus