Is there a way to install DragonFly via network (w/o CD) ?

esmith esmith at patmedia.net
Wed Oct 13 20:41:16 PDT 2004

esmith wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:

 >     I will do some testing on my LAN to see if it is possible to run
separate
 >     IP and BOOT services, for those situations where one already has
an IP
 >     server (e.g. cable or dsl modem) and only wants additional boot
services.

If there is a better way to deal with this I'm all for it, but this is
why I suggested prompting for an IP range. If someone is already using a
router for dhcp but the router doesn't support the more advanced options
needed for pxe-boot ( like mine ), someone could run two dhcp servers on
different IP ranges. There would be no address collisions and any
machine that does a lan-boot can be directed to the correct dhcp server
for pxe-booting.

Scrap that idea. I forgot the only way to have two dhcp servers on one subnet is to
configure them both with MAC address filtering and that's far too inconvenient and
sometimes simply impossible.