XFree86 port broken?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Rapha=EBl=20Marmier=20 raphael at marmier.net
Mon Nov 29 15:20:22 PST 2004

In <20041129182215.GA835 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Joerg Sonnenberger  wrote:

> I'm aware of at least one problem with portupgrade. Since it depends
> on  make index and make index currently *ignores* all override
> packages, you have a big problem for both, XFree86 and X.org. The
> problem is the way /usr/ports/Tools/make_index works, it drops
> everything not beginning with /usr/ports in the package description.
>
> If you or someone else has a bit of perl-fu left, please have a look
> at it.
why not. I just got a look at this make_index and it looks like it
actually remaps all pathes to the canonical path /usr/ports. The purpose
seems to be that wether the ports collection is located in the usual
place or another dir, it will always be indexed as /usr/ports/...
implicitely, there can be only one of any given port.

from the little I now understand about the ports collection's INDEX,
it's is the Makefile's index target that, toghether with the bsd.port.
subdir.mk and maybe others, scans all the subdirs and build a
description file that is then fed to make_index.

thus, it is not just a matter of tweeking make_index, we must have the
dfports be scanned and indexed as well.

Then, I suppose, it's a matter of having each dfports overide take the
place of the original port.

The problem is that make index won't run in dfports, I just tried
copying the files over and it breaks. Actually, I tried to run make
index on a copy of the ports collection with a different base path, and
it fails as well. It seems to be inextricably tied to /usr/ports.

is there a make wizard in here?

Raphael