GoBSD distribution

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Mon Nov 29 08:52:20 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:38:31 -0500
David Rhodus <sdrhodus at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

> the images.  Right now its still unclear if pkgsrc will stay the ports
> system we will use because there are still a number of improvements we
> have been working on and trying to get the changes pushed back into
> the pkgsrc tree.  Perhaps some of the changes won't get pushed back
> into the pkgsrc tree and we'll have to end up making a totally
> different system based off of pkgsrc.  As of now pkgsrc seems like the
> best place to start as uses a /opt like methodology and has some more
> advanced features like pkg-views.

I think using pkgsrc would be good. The DFly developer community is
quite small, and pkgsrc can avoid a lot of duplicated work. The NetBSD
people seem to be quite open to enhancements and suggestions, and I'm
sure they'll accept patches as long as they fit into their framework.

Although there's still room for improvement, I have to say I've been
using pkgsrc on NetBSD and Solaris for some years and it's excellent.

Perhaps the question is, if Matt's idea of VFS-backed ports system is
still in the roadmap.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> | lea     gfx_lib(pc),a1
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org            | moveq   #0,d0

pgp00009.pgp