Audigy 2 noisy output

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Nov 25 12:11:21 PST 2004

> The one thing I do not like is that my soundcard, which I already know
> to make problems (OpenBSD driver was even worse), gives noisy output. As
> you can guess from the subject I have got a SoundBlaster Audigy 2. My
> problem ist that, while the subwoofer seems to work just fine, the
> satelite speakers of my 5.1 system make a strange noise, especially when
> listening to music with a lot of bass. It sounds as if the satelites
> where trying to output the bass, too.

As Joerg suggested, buying OSS from opensound.com should work just right,
as they support DragonFly and (I assume) Audigy cards.

Another trick may be to mess with the mixer program.  (Type 'mixer' to get
current device settings, and 'mixer <device> <level>' to change them.)  It
could be there's two different outputs going out the same port, so it may
be possible to silence one of them and eliminate the distortion.  That's a
complete guess on my part, however.

Is there a different physical output to try?  I recall one of my sound
outputs on a card being 20dB less than the other, which meant I had to
turn it way up (and get distortion) to hear it well.