recognizing simulated SMP

Noah Yan yanyh at cs.uh.edu
Thu Nov 25 09:11:44 PST 2004

"Matthew Dillon" <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:200411242238.iAOMcns3071538 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> :How can I find the CPU info from dragonfly? I installed it on a 4-cpu
> qemu
> :simulator and dmesg cannot give the information whether dfly find them.
> :
> :Thanks
>
>    You are probably running a UP DragonFly kernel image. Try compiling up
>    an SMP kernel and see if it detects the cpu's.
Yes, I use the downloaded image. and the command sysctl hw.ncpu output 1 on
a 4-cpu configuration.
I will compile the kernel to smp to see.

>    I am able to get the qemu port to work on DragonFly with some fiddling,
>    and it seems to boot the ISO image fairly quickly.  But it does not
>    seem to have any SMP options.
yes, qemu is pretty fast comparing with bochs and vmware.
qemu use bochs BIOS, so simply renaming MP-bios of bochs to bios.bin will be
enough for qemu to recoginze a MP from bios.