Making a bootable multi-OS DVD with bootmanager

Oliver Fromme olli at haluter.fromme.com
Wed Nov 17 03:08:47 PST 2004

Unfortunately, things don't work as I hoped.

I wrote:
 > Is there a way to let the DragonFly install CD perform a
 > chroot() very early in the game, possibly even before the
 > kernel spawns the init process?  That would be extremely
 > helpful, because I could put all of the DragonFly related
 > files into a subdirectory on the DVD and let it chroot()
 > into that directory, without colliding with anything else
 > on the DVD.

That doesn't work out of the box, unfortunately.

However, another idea that came to me is this:  Don't put
the whole installation stuff in the iso9660 filesystem at
all, but instead put a (large) rootmfs on the CD which
contains the actual installation filesystem.  Would that
work?  I guess the problem might be that this rootfs would
be very large (about 250 Mbyte), which could be a problem
for small memory machines, given the fact that there's no
swap either when booting from the installation CD.

*sigh*

It seems I will simply put the DragonFly ISO as-is on the
DVD, so people can burn it if they want.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)