checking for bad media

John Duncan agley at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 1 16:22:48 PST 2004

"George Georgalis" <george at xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I find this all very odd. Has anyone heard of a failed board that only
> has problems controlling a cdrom, midway into the disk, while a disk on
> the same ribbon has no problems?

Hi,
    No, but I have heard of DMA problems with these boards with 8235
    chipset. Other quirks someone told me is sometimes an install will
    reset the BIOS from LBA mode and there might be problems with
    anything compiled for i686.

    Probably not your problems but thought I would mention them.

                                All the best,
                                   John Duncan