Symlinking /home and /tmp with bsdinstaller to save space

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Nov 23 05:49:55 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:18:56PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I'm going to reinstall DFly from scratch onto my 4Gig laptop.  I'd rather
> not have separate partitions for /home and /var or any others that are
> absolutely necessary.

I *strongly* advice against having /tmp and /var on either / or /usr.
For tmp it has security reasons, because you want to avoid e.g. symlink
attacks or overflowing the disk. The later argument holds true for /var,
esp. because the logfiles can grow quite a lot in a short time.

Having /tmp a memory filesystem based on the swap size (e.g. half the
swap size, but not more than 512 MB) is a valid option, it would be nice
for the BSD installer to support this. /home on /usr can be critical,
but for a home system without e.g. anonymous ftp it should be fine.

Joerg