Network interfaces on startup

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Nov 19 12:49:04 PST 2004

:Here's a question about a difference between DFly and FBSD.
:
:Right now, I have in my FBSD rc.conf
:
:network_interfaces="lo0"
:ifconfig_wi0="dhcp"
:ifconfig_ed1="dhcp"
:
:Whether I plug into the LAN at work, or wireless at home, FBSD finds the
:correct device and runs dhclient on it.
:
:This does not seem to work the same with DFly.  I currently have
:
:#network_interfaces="lo0 ed1"
:#network_interfaces="lo0 wi0"
:
:and I uncomment the one for the interface I am using.  It's a pain, but it
:works.  If I use the above setting from FBSD, or a line containing all 3
:interfaces, whichever interface is found does not get configured with
:dhclient.
:
:jm

    I think this is a bug in 'dhclient'... when dhclient is handed
    multiple interfaces or if it is run multiple times with different
    interfaces it seems to get 'stuck' if one of the interfaces does not
    work.  What probably needs to be done here is to upgrade our
    contrib/isc-dhcp to the latest one, if someone would like to take
    that on.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>