PORT Request: PC Emulators for WindowsXP

David Ross drossNOSPAM at code-exec.net
Tue Nov 16 20:57:44 PST 2004

David Ross wrote:
Michel Talon wrote:

P. de Boer wrote:

David Ross wrote:

Hello everybody,

By request and curiosity, I'm curious if anyone has made one of the pc
emulators working. qemu does not cut it, and it is corrupting the image
file for some reason under WindowsXP. I really need this to work.

I've succesfully installed and used Windows XP in qemu on FreeBSD 5.3. I
did have some problems with 'disk read errors', so I reverted to the
August 1st CVS version. That one seems to work ok, even on Linux on an
iMac *evil grin*
Perhaps you could try something similar?

I think the original poster wanted to run qemu under Windows, and not the
converse  :-( In my experience DragonFly (and also FreeBSD-5,
ReactOS,  BeOS, L4,
WindowsXP ) perfectly run emulated by qemu running on Linux. qemu runs
slightly worse on FreeBSD, and i have never tried it on Windows.

he was right. I'm trying to get WindowsXP to run in qemu. I'm on *BSD
systems, but my home computer I mainly use is DragonFlyBSD. I've
installed the latest qemu in ports. I'm trying to install again, but its
slow as molasses. I believe my problem was the growing image puking on
me after windows install with a ''read error'' which would happen after
install. I'm trying 'raw' image type now. Will update with information
when done. Thanks

Mew
Okay, I believe I've found the solution. I'm trying the install again. It
is Ben's fault :)

"IDE fix for NT4 (Ben Pfaf)"
Yea right.. a fix :) same goes for my friend each time he tried to "fix"
his own computer. This lines commited corrupts the disk image. If you use
anything after this commit windows 2k sp3 and beyond will corrupt on
install. Maybe even others, but its a bug. Hopefully it will work after I
get it installed this time.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-10/msg00345.html

Mew