Heads Up: OpenNTPD

Oliver Fromme olli at haluter.fromme.com
Mon Nov 15 01:28:01 PST 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:01:22PM +0000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Personally, I think that ntpq is much more useful than
 > > ntptrace.  I use "ntpq -p" a lot to diagnose problems,
 > > but almost never use ntptrace.  (The output from ntp-
 > > trace doesn't really contain much information useful
 > > for debugging.)
 >
 > The problem is that ntpq most likely only works with ntp.org's ntpd :)
 > ntptrace is useful to find out why a NTP client doesn't synchronise.

Uhm, are we speaking about the same program?  That's exactly
the kind of information that ntptrace does _not_ display.
It displays the stratum, offset and sync distance of clients
which are synchronized.  For non-synchronized machines it
displays nothing useful at all.  The output of "ntpq -p" is
extremely valuable in such cases.

 > If you really want ntpq, I guess you have a configuration where you want
 > ntp.org's ntpd anyway.

Hm, yes, it seems so.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)