Heads Up: OpenNTPD

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Nov 12 12:00:25 PST 2004

Hi all,
the next buildworld of CURRENT (and in the near feature Stable) will
switch ntpd to OpenNTPD. This has two important user visible changes:
- /etc/ntp.conf ==> /etc/ntpd.conf (you want the server/servers/listen on
entries).
- ntpdate is gone ==> use ntpd_flags='-s' for similiar behaviour
- if your networks are not correctly set up at the time ntpd is started
  and you are using the -s flag above, really use numeric IPs, not
  hostname. otherwise ntpd takes ages to not find the hosts. I'm looking
  at this with Henning.
- you might want to remove /etc/rc.d/ntpdate, you get a warning otherwise

If no bigger problems come up, the old ntpd / ntpdate and associated
scripts will go.

I haven't decided yet, if we should keep the support programs in the base
tree. ntptrace might be useful, but the others I don't think so. The full
ntp distribution is always available via ports.

Joerg