using unison accross platforms

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue Nov 2 23:34:43 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:31:45AM -0000, Andreas Hauser wrote:
>george wrote @ Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:23:50 -0500:
>
>> I looked at installing the pkg_add version on the debian host, but
>> building that will be difficult (ocamlc prerequisite) so I'm thinking to
>> back the dfly version to match the debian host.
>
>just install ocamlc and go.
>The ocaml tools usually work very good.
>You might want to compile with ocamlopt so you get native code
>instead of bytecode (ocamlopt machine code is faster than C in sometimes!).

well, decided to give it a spin, seamed to go easier than expected, and
unison 2.9.20 built without error, but when trying....

Fatal error: Received unexpected header from the server:
 expected "U" but received "W".
This is probably because you have different versions of Unison
installed on the client and server machines.

>> So, how do I install unison version 2.9.1 (vs 2.9.20 with pkg_add) on
>> dfly?
>
>Just checkout ports and modify the Makefile or try an old freebsd package.

I tried adjusting PORTVERSION to 2.9.1, changing MASTER_SITES in
Makefile and moving distinfo out of the way (I'm not too experienced
with ports). It didn't work

rest of my week is booked, so I'll just keep running rsync until
it doesn't choke...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx