Making a bootable multi-OS DVD with bootmanager

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 17 10:32:32 PST 2004

:
:On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 01:06:18PM +0000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
:> Is there a way to let the DragonFly install CD perform a
:> chroot() very early in the game, possibly even before the
:> kernel spawns the init process?  That would be extremely
:> helpful, because I could put all of the DragonFly related
:> files into a subdirectory on the DVD and let it chroot()
:> into that directory, without colliding with anything else
:> on the DVD.
:
:I don't think I want to hack the kernel for this, but
:teaching init to do a chroot early should be easy. The biggest
:problem is that IIRC you can't create devices from within a
:chroot, which means changes to the installer. Or a hack
:in the boot kernel to allow this :)
:
:Joerg

    It would definitely be easier for init to deal with it.  Remember
    that we have kernel environment variables (man kenv) so the loader
    can still pass the chroot path through to init.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>