/usr/src/games

Oliver Fromme olli at haluter.fromme.com
Thu Nov 4 02:42:22 PST 2004

Jonas Sundström <jonas at xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <olli at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > > In my (personal) opinion, it _should_ be part of any oper-
 > > ating system that calls itself "BSD".  It is a historical
 > > part of BSD.  /usr/games existed in 2.8BSD (1981) and
 > > possibly earlier (which I can't check right now, unfortu-
 > > nately).
 >
 > Have you tried Doom 3 ?

No (I've seen it, but not played it myself; I think it's
just crap).  But that's got nothing to do with /usr/games
anyway.

 > > Apart from that, I don't think there is a good reason why
 > > it should be removed.  Space considerations don't seem to
 > > be a good reason, as the whole /usr/games directory is only
 > > 200 Kbytes, which is smaller than /bin/ls (on my FreeBSD 4
 > > machine here anyway).
 >
 > Clutter. It's a major issue on any Unix-like system,
 > but Unix people in general seem to be immune to it.

Clutter?  I don't think so.  Maybe _you_ think that it has
no use.  That's fine, you can "rm -r" it on your machines,
and a setting in make.conf will prevent it from ever being
rebuilt.  But there are people who actually like and use
it.  I won't install an operating system that calls itself
"BSD" but doesn't come with /usr/games/fortune and others.

If you want to remove clutter, then remove perl.  It will
save about 20 Mbyte (rough guess) instead of just 200 Kbyte
which /usr/games takes.  And perl _is_ in the ports collec-
tion after all.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)