gcc34 -- To thunk or not to thunk?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 2 07:05:49 PST 2004

Andrew Atrens wrote:
walt wrote:

Since the mozilla-devel port won't compile with gcc2 lately I've
been trying to use gcc34...
Well, mozilla doesn't know about DFly yet...

A workaround I use is to add one line to the top of /usr/include/osreldate.h

#define __FreeBSD__ 4

and then in any mozilla file using a __FreeBSD* macro I add a

#include <osreldate.h>
Okay, I did this and the effect was exactly the same as Andreas's patch:
compilation was successful but the program gets stuck in an infinite
loop of SIGSEGV's.
I'm assuming that the reason for this behavior is the changed ABI for
c++ would require me to recompile all my other related libraries with
gcc34.  I remember doing this when gcc3 was first ported to DFly
but I finally changed back to gcc2 because so many ports would not
compile.