Retrieving less data on cvsup?

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Mon Nov 1 07:00:47 PST 2004

On 01.11.2004, at 15:46, George Georgalis wrote:
I recently cvsup'ed the FreeBSD ports list. Syncing the ports
database has
always been painful with slow connections, even with compression,
specially
with freebsd's ports. I've always wondered if there's some way of not
downloading some of the files until I use them, like say
/usr/ports/foo/files/file.patch, which I'm not going to use until I
install
the program, if I install it. I've diving trough the handbook but I
didn't
find anything, or I missed it. It's possible to do something like
that?
whait i had thought was that each port should be 1 .tgz file,
tar+gzip all the files + patches. this would use a boatload less
inodes + disk space.
but that would make searching descriptions difficult... maybe two
files?
I don't think anything of this is feasible with the current ports
system. For a new system, yes, sure, there should be something like
this available.

cheers
  simon
--