Laptop and live cd

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 23 21:51:23 PST 2004

:I was just given a Compaq Persario R3000 laptop.  I was going to dual
:boot it to learn windows, but no luck with the cd's.  With the stable cd
:from 12/13/2004 and also the 1.0A_REL it goes to the boot menu fine,
:after that any option tried on the menu you hear the cd drive wind down
:and the computer shuts off.  With the next to last option in the menu,
:can't remember the option number, I can get a prompt, but anything I
:have entered has also shutdown the computer.  The cd's all boot fine on
:all my other systems.  It has an Athlon XP-M 3000+ 1.6GHz.  Any info
:needed I will try to supply.  Any suggestions on getting past the boot menu?
:
:Bryan

    Try adjusting the BIOS settings for the CD drive, if it lets you.  e.g.
    the translation mode and other things.  If that doesn't work, see if
    a FreeBSD CD boots.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>