Getting tired of 5.3

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 23 13:08:25 PST 2004

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

SCHED_ULE was supposed to do a better job at user responsiveness,
but that new feature was still too unreliable for 5.3-release.
There have been many fixes to SCHED_ULE since then (only done in
6.x-current for now), but again I can't say how well it works wrt
user responsiveness.
I think it is not accurate to say things are "going nowhere".
To set the record straight -- I updated my FreeBSD-current machine
(which I haven't done for awhile) and noticed that SCHED_ULE is
no longer the default (so I changed that) and there is a new
option (PREEMPTION) which I added.
I must say the system is a pleasure compared to what it was before.
There truly has been considerable progress made in the last few
months, which I gladly acknowlege.
I haven't done any benchmark testing -- I don't care in the least
about minor differences.  What I'm seeing now is a major improvement
in responsiveness for ordinary things like text editing while doing
a 'make world'.
I really can't say how FreeBSD-current compares to DFly, but it's
a much closer race now that even a month or two ago.